HR elevated after disease?

• Creator
    Topic
    KBZ
    Participant

Hi all!
    4 weeks ago I got ill, probably I had quite hard sinusitis. For a few days I had fever, sore muscles, I was very very weak, plugged nose and facial pain… Doctor prescribed antibiotic – Moloxin. But it didn’t help much so probably it was more of virus than bacteria infection.
    I completely stopped training for 10 days. Afterwads as I began to feel better I gradually returned to training – for 7 days only zone 1 & 2.
    However since then my HR is elevated comparing to what it was before the disease. Previously when jogging (pace ~6:00) my HR was about 130, now it’s 140-145. I can’t run uphill now staying in Z2, I have to walk painfully slow, otherwise my HR goes up to Z3…
    Today I had in my plan 10′ in Z3 – ~170 HR. Previously this training was always challenging to me – heavy breathing, the feeling that I’m pushing myself really hard and so on. Today I felt like it was more like the end of Z2, my breathing was not very intense while the HR was very high 170-172.
    Is it still the impact of that disease? Anything I should worry about? Should I stop my training till the HR come back to normal or can I continue with trainig and everything will get back to normal after some time?
    During the day I feel good, I sleep well, I’m not tired, etc. Basically everything is fine besides the elevated HR…

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #47918

The first thing that begins to go down with you stop training and it happens immediately is a drop in aerobic capacity. In 5 days of bed rest mitochondrial density can drop 50%.
    You are probably experiencing a drop in fitness and maybe some lingering effects of the illness.

I’d just give your body more time to get back to normal. More easy aerobic work and certainly no intensity till you feel good again.

Scott

Participant
    KBZ on #47924

Thanks for your input Scott!
    Do you have any idea how long approximetely it can take till everything get back to normal?
    It’s really difficult for me to stop all intensity workouts now when the competition season is just behind the corner. I feel like I’m loosing now everything what I’ve hard worked for all of the year…

Inactive
    Anonymous on #48051

It will come back quicker the second time. Be patient. (Being impatient will have worse consequences.)

Participant
    KBZ on #48115

I will drop for now the interval trainings and stay within Z1-2.

What about the strength sessions? These should be continued as previously or also dropped?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #48148

I would continue with strength.

Participant
    KBZ on #48341

I had an antigen test and it’s positive, so probably I had covid with symptoms of sinusitis.
    I had also blood tests, ECG, lungs x-ray and a covid test which was negative. Lungs x-ray do not show anything abnormal, ECG was fine.
    Blood results show elevated monocytes, eosinophils, and lowered neutrophils, leukocytes.
    Hemoglobin and hematocrit is at the lower limit of the norm.
    So seems like I’m experiencing some lingering effects of the covid?

I was also recently listening to your recent podcast about overtraining and began to think about it…
    It’s not overtraining if I haven’t experienced any major form decline? I don’t experience persistent fatigue or muscle soreness. What I recently began to experience is depressive mood, loss of motivation and problems with falling and staying asleep. But I suppose it’s due to being unable to train normally and huge dissapointment about the upcoming race season which I keep thinking about.

I feel like this season is over for me. Not sure if there is any point to do even some Z1/Z2 workouts, maybe it’s better just to hit the couch till I get better and then slowly begin base building for next season?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #48426

Unless your sick or injured, there is never a reason not to do Z1/2 sessions.

Aerobic capacity is the most important quality, and those are the most important workouts. Anything harder is just a bonus.

Unless you need to recover, hitting the couch is always a mistake whether there’s a goal in play or not.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.