How to progress the at home ME workout after finishing?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

FREE At Home Muscular Endurance Workout with Progression

I’ve been following the above since Covid means I don’t have access to the gym for stair machine workouts nor any decent hills within a reasonable distance. My goals are technical alpine routes in the European alps (whenever I can actually go again).

Just finished workout #9 and am wondering the best way to continue to progress this once I’ve done #10? My guess is to continue adding weight and sets as long as I can, but this will eventually become way too hard and probably not so useful. Hoping to get at least a couple more months of at home ME in, after that I should have access to steeper terrain to do proper workouts on hills.

Currently it takes me an hour (7 sets per exercise), with heart rate anything from Z2 to Z4, averaging Z2. Felt like I’ve made good progress, each workout feels really hard but they aren’t getting harder even though I’m adding weight and sets at the rate suggested in the link.

• Participant
    Aaron on #42894

The Big Vert plan ME progression moves up to more sets (e.g. 10×10 vs 8×10), and also drops the rests between sets down to 10 seconds. I find the rest between sets a big difference. 45 vs 30 vs 20 vs 10 seconds are big differences in how taxing tey are.

Also, it moves up to more rounds of all sets of exercises (e.g. 3 times through 10×10 of each exercise with 10 seconds between sets and 1 minute between rounds).

Inactive
    Anonymous on #42895

Options:

1. Add the Big Vert changes that Aaron mentioned;
    2. Leave ME alone for a while and do some speedwork;
    3. Both 1 & 2.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #42911

THanks both, that’s useful info. I’ll start progressing it slowly towards that, though that much does sound hard.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #42941

You don’t have to do it all at once. It’s much more productive to decide how long you’re going to use a certain method for, progress as far as you can, and then revisit the progression again in your next macrocycle.

Significant progress is a multi-year project and a good progression is tough to master in one season.

For example, it took me two years just to get through the first of the Verkhoshansky progressions.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.