How to log Skimo in Training peaks

• Creator
    Topic
    richard.ferron
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve just upgraded my training peak account and am wondering how to manage the sports that are not in the workout list (skimo)? If I put it as “Others”, I can’t monitor this specific activity through the year, and if I don’t wear my HR belt, I don’t get a TSS. Is there a way to use tags for reporting without WKO4? Would the running TSS + Fudge factor based on elevation gain be close enough – I could change the sport to running, see the TSS, change it back and add the TSS + fudge?

When I take a look at the performance chart from January, it’s all wrong because my skimo training did not register any TSS.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #10966

For skimo sessions in TP, I use the Rowing activity because:

* The icon looks like two skis;
    * I never row; and
    * The Rowing statistics include elevation gain (for some strange reason).

I hope that helps.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #10971

Rowing includes vertical….Really. That’s weird.

For skimo I use “other” because it defaults to hrTSS and I always use and coach others using a HR monitor. Then I fudge the hrTSS to plain TSS by using a vertical factor. If breaking trail or with a heavy pack then it is more than 10/1000 feet. But just be consistent with your fudge factor.

There’s a bunch of TP personnel who are skimo(ers) so maybe they’ll include it soon.

Scott

Participant
    richard.ferron on #10977

Thanks for the Tips. I already use other, so Rowing is nice.

Does using running TSS, if not using HR belt, be close enough or the TSS will be too far off? I had so many belt reading problems over the years… even last weekend, I was full of good intentions on a technical 12h hike with 3200m and my HR belt started failing after 30 minutes. Sooo frustrating. (Garmin Fenix 2, almost new battery in the belt – had the same problem with all the monitors I had in the last 20 years)

Inactive
    Anonymous on #10978

I’ve used HRMs for years and only recently have I had one act strange. Even then, it appears that my old watch is dying, not the monitor on the belt.

Are you wetting the contact points before putting on the belt? Is the belt clean? (A lot of salt from sweat will cause strange readings.) Do you have exceptionally dry skin and/or low sweat rates?

If it’s an ongoing 20-year problem, and technology has improved all that time, then I would assume it must be something specific to your use of the HRM.

P.S. I wouldn’t use rTSS for anything other than flat runs and only when you know your flat-run AnT. Otherwise, rTSS will be meaningless, especially for hilly terrain.

Participant
    richard.ferron on #10979

Thanks for the reply Scott.
    Will forget the rTSS and try some gel on the belt to see if I can improve it.

Participant
    garybarnes88 on #10990

Just a quick comment on getting a good connection with HR belts. I also have had a hard time maintaining good skin contact with my HR belt. I started using Aloe Vera Gel as a conductor and all my problems vanished. I found clear Aloe Vera Gel at my local pharmacy. Super cheap, doesn’t smell funny, and doesn’t stain your clothes. Especially helpful in the winter time when I tend to sweat a lot less. Hope that helps.

Participant
    richard.ferron on #10991

Thanks Gary. Will definitely try with some gel.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #10992

Great idea, Gary. Thanks for posting.

Participant
    Thomas White on #11010

Can someone provide more detail on how these fudge factors work? I did a hike/run which my Garmin watch recorded as “hike”. In TP it is workout type “other”. The hrTSS seemed a bit low compared to other workout of similar intensity.

Participant
    Jim Prager on #11015

Hi Thomas,

Scott wrote about the fudge factors in a forum post: CTL/TrainingPeaks and TFNA. It’s a long thread, bud definitely worth a read.

For a quick reference, I pulled the two sections for you:

1) For any purely aerobic run/hike/ski we calculate the TP hrTSS and add 10 TSS for each 1000 vertical feet of gain for an athlete carrying no to minimal weight.
    2) For the same workout but with a significant weight, say more than 10% of BW add 20TSS/ 1000 feet.
    3) For hard muscular workout that has a very high local muscular endurance factor with a (disappointingly) low HR such as an uphill ME workout then I pick a number that reflects the recovery time before the athlete feels ready for another such workout. An ME workout for a high level athlete like David Goettler or Luke Nelson will take them days to recovery from and based on the actual workout I have assigned I will give these a TSS of 150-200.
    4) For the TftNA general strength and core workout I give them a TSS of 50-70/hour.
    5) For the TftNA Max Strength with core warm up I give these a TSS of 80-90/hour.

What I do is make standard TSS’s for strength and climbing. For General strength I do 50TSS/hour. For Max strength I do 75-80TSS/hour. For climbing I do 50TSS/hr for ARC training (below on sight level). 80TSS/hr for climbing at near max level. Count only time on the rock.

As he notes in the post, whatever you do, be consistent so it’s relevant over time.

Cheers,
    Jim

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.