How to know if my ADS is gone?

• Creator
    Topic
    gbarnett76
    Participant

Like many others here, I’m pretty sure from how I trained in the past that I had ADS. Read the book, had a lab VO2Max test, etc. Let’s say I’ve determined my Z2 training HR target is 135. I’ve slowed down on most of my runs to try to stay around that HR. What I’m not sure about is how this will change over time. As my ADS diminishes, which scenario will occur:

1. The pace at which I can run at a HR of 135 will increase. So, for example, when I started 135 HR was a 6:20/km pace, but eventually it will be faster (let’s say 5:20/km pace?). So I should always do my long runs at a 135 HR, I don’t need to worry about changing that, but I will naturally speed up at that HR as time goes by. This shows me the process is working.
    OR
    2. My Z2 level actually is slowly increasing as my body gets more aerobically adapted. If I do this Z2 training for a while, eventually my HR zones change, and really I should be running my long runs at a higher HR in the future, as my Z2 HR moves upwards (say from 135 to 150). So eventually I need to stop running at 135 HR and start moving up to higher HR’s, where in reality I will be using the same amount of aerobic capacity as I used to at 135.

I don’t have access to a lactate meter, as I’m guessing that would give me the answer, so I guess I’m asking is there another way to know which scenario above is what I should be expecting? Or is a lactate meter the ONLY way to know where I am in the process? Sorry if the question is confusing!
    Thanks.

• Participant
    LindsayTroy on #53036

You should re-test! I would re-test whenever you feel like you’ve made noticeable gains or every couple of months!

You don’t need a lactate meter, any of the non-laboratory tests work fine:

DIY Anaerobic Threshold Test

Indoor DIY Guide to Determining Your Aerobic Threshold: Treadmill Test

How to Administer and Analyze a Heart Rate Drift Test

Participant
    Rachel on #53055

I personally cured my ADS by just working at or under my original threshold for a long time. I got faster at that heart rate. Because I worked out at the lower HR my running didn’t really improve (but my hiking did). I agree with Lindsay that it’s easy to test frequently if you want.

Participant
    pezrosi on #54255

Hey Rachel,

WHat do you mean by “…my running didn’t really improve”?

I am asking because I am now a few months into base building and nothing really seems to happen. Quite the opposite, it gets much harder for me to reach higher heart rates

Participant
    juskojj on #54268

By no means any sort of expert but I think the correct answer is when your within 10% of your AnT is when you cure your ADS.

As for retesting your AeT when you feel like it or when your current rate seems very easy and almost painfully slow. Speed does increase but its very slow until you start zone 3, I think…..

For me a faster heart rate brought an increase in speed. Everytime I run j stay under my AeT even if it’s slow and easy unless I’m retesting fora higher AeT

Inactive
    Anonymous on #55234

@gbarnett76: To your original question, the answer is: Both.

Both will improve, but the more noticeable change will be an increase in your AeT HR and (possibly) your AnT HR. At some point, they will also converge. AnT HR will stop increasing, but AeT HR will continue. We recommend waiting until the AnT / AeT gap is less than 10% before adding high intensity unless you need some speed work for race or goal event purposes.

Changes in HR will be relatively quick (a few months to 1-2 years) while increases in threshold speeds can continue for many years (under a structured training program.)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.