High Fat diet, what is happening here?

• Creator
    Topic
    i s
    Participant

Hi!
    I have been following the guidelines on the book regarding training and diet. I reduced my carbs to 120 g a day, increase the amount of healthy fats and protein as well as virtually removed all sugar (except before/during/after strength training). I have been feeling great this past 6 months, I have made huge progress in my fitness with lower HR and faster times than usual. I do 90% of my workouts fasted without any problems at all. I started with 8-12 hours/week for 3 months and increased up to 12-16 hours week for the last 3 months.

But the issue comes here…this week I travelled to the Alps to climb for a week (that is what I have been preparing for). When travelling and staying in mountain huts I eat what is offered, so this means going back to a high carb diet again. After the first day eating like this I felt terrible, like a hangover, all my energy was gone, I felt weak, sluggish and with no strenght at all. Any ideas why? I had to cancel some of my climbs since I didnt feel capable of accomplishing them in this state so Im really disappointed.

Should I start increasing the carbs a bit prior to my next climbing trip? Since now after a week eating high carbs im starting to feel better and my energy is back.

PD: It cant have been the altitude since I started feeling like this already at sea level, after my first plate of pasta 🙂

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #10894

I can’t tell you for sure what might be going on here. I’ve not heard of a person become so reactive to carbs. Eating more carbs can cause an insulin spike which will make you feel very tired (like you want to sleep) after a short period.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.
    Scott

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.