Half Marathon Training vs. 50K Training

• Creator
    Topic
    rnate
    Participant

Hi,

In the last 6 months I’ve trained for and completed a 50K and two marathons using the training strategies from TFTNA, Uphill Athlete, and Luke Nelson’s Intro to Ultra Running Training Plan. I would like to thank you for helping me accomplish goals I would have never even dreamed of before.

The question is, can I train for a fast 1/2 marathon, sub 1:30, without derailing all the hard work I’ve put into optimize my body for endurance? I’ve been participating in this local half marathon race for the past 7 years and was hoping to PR this year, April 5th. I feel prepared for a 50K, or even 50 miler, but I’m slow pace wise to PR in this 1/2 marathon. I feel like I would have to do a lot of high intensity running to accomplish this PR. I’ve worked hard to cure myself of ADS, is 2.5 months of high intensity training going to reinfect me?

Thanks

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #36712

…is 2.5 months of high intensity training going to reinfect me?

Yes it would, but there’s good news. You shouldn’t train for a half-marathon that way anyway.

If your goal event is longer than 90 seconds, then the training methods are largely the same. (Ask Michael Phelps… His coach has a philosophy similar to ours here at UA.)

For a 90-minute event, you should limit high-intensity training to 5-7% of your total training time. So in a 10-hour training week, high-intensity should be no more than 30-45 minutes in order to maintain your aerobic capacity (base).

For example, when Moses Mosop ran 2h03m in his first marathon, only 5% of his training was high-intensity (above aerobic threshold).

Participant
    rnate on #36756

I’ll carry on the good fight then!

Thank you

Participant
    l.tregan on #36816

So in a 10-hour training week, high-intensity should be more than 3

Small typo: *no* more I guess ?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #36833

Thanks for catching that! #corrected

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.