FUA Mountaineers

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello gals!
    Maya and I wanted to begin a few discussion groups to encourage you all to share ideas and questions not only with us but with one another. So for the women training for Baker, Rainier, Whitney or beyond here you go. Remember to respond and click the notify me of follow-up replies via email so you can follow the thread.

I’ll start off by posting a question is this your first mountaineering endeavor?

• Participant
    Laura on #65677

Hi ๐Ÿ™‚

When Iโ€™m on tour in the mountains I have the following issue: A long day in the mountains mean that sometimes you have to make a break and eat something (bread or some chocolate barsโ€ฆ). Afterwards I always have to slow down because my heartrate is to high.
    Has someone the same problem? Any recommendations or experience? I try to change what I eat in the mountains but by now nothing made it better.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ Laura

Inactive
    Anonymous on #65688

Hi Laura,
    Great question. Generally speaking, since you are likely young and healthy it is a natural response.
    Your heartbeat goes up because your heart starts pumping blood harder so that there is enough blood in the stomach and intestine to complete the digestion process. Without enough blood in the abdominal area after you eat your food, your body will fail to assimilate food effectively.
    So what to do in the mtns, eating smaller amounts more often can help. Sometimes i don’t even stop I just slow down and put bites in my mouth, mixed caloric source, (fats/protein/carb) and keep moving but slower for a bit until my body has had time to digest the food. Taking a longer break and eating more will drive your HR higher due to the above reason and because now there is a double impact on the system, both muscular demand or moving and now digesting.
    Consuming large meals may well be the reason why you are experiencing fast heartbeat. Your body increases the flow of blood to the digestive tract to help digestion when you consume too much food. As a result, your heart has to beat harder and faster to provide enough blood. This increased blood flow is at its highest about 25-40 minutes of having a large meal and may last up to a couple of hours.

So take away – it’s normal, try and eat smaller amounts more often, and have a bigger meal once you are at camp or the hut or after your event when you can rest and digest.
    I hope this helps,
    C

Participant
    Jennifer Jones on #65706

Hi all,

Adding a not too serious post here.

What do your summer trips look like? Do you go out frequently or save up vacation time for a big trip every year? Do you adventure solo, with a partner, in groups? What do you get most stoked for?

My summer weekend trips to the Sierras over the past few years follow this pattern. Finish work Friday afternoon, drive/carpool 300+ miles to trailhead, bivy at th, hike/backpack with partners 20+ miles Sat-Sun class 1-3, catch a sunset/sunrise, happy hour with buddies, alpine start, aim for a peak, back at cars Sun evening, and drive home. Rinse and repeat a few times a month.

Toward the end of a season this can be tiring(thus need to train), and now I’m interested in moving to more technically challenging objectives that require more prep/training/vacation days, but stringing together a bunch of adventures with friends has been pretty exhilarating.

Anyway, good luck to you all with your trips/training this summer!

Inactive
    Anonymous on #65719

Smash and grab weekends are a blast and the Sierra are a fabulous playground. I’m also excited to hear what other longer adventures you might put on your calendar at some point. I’m a fan of long spring and fall trips myself then training for them seasonally and playing lots locally since i can where i live. I’ll be heading to Europe to climb in the fall! Excited to hear about other gals adventures ( :

Participant
    Silviana Ciurea Ilcus on #66305

I’m training for Mt Baker. This is going to be my first mountaineering endeavor, and I am doing it to raise money for Fred Hutch as part of Climb to Fight Cancer, in memory of my mum who passed away from breast cancer 4 years ago. I’m super nervous about the climb because I don’t want to let down any of the people who donated towards my climb and because I’ve had a rough time recovering from COVID and I’m not in great shape. I’m hoping the base plan will help me get in shape for my mid-August climb ๐Ÿ™‚

Inactive
    Anonymous on #66308

Hi Silviana,
    I’m thrilled to hear this, what a wonderful cause and goal for you. And in memory of your mother. The base plan will be an exceptional plan to train for Mt Baker. Keep up the training and hard work it will pay off. I used to guide in the Cascades and have climbed Baker many times, please don’t hesitate to schedule a call with me if you’d like to chat about it or if I can help in any way.
    Carolyn

Participant
    Angela Marie on #66379

I’ve done a handful of winter/spring Mount St. Helens and Mt. Adams climbs, but I’m hoping to use this year to build my skillset both physically and mentally! I’m actually climbing as a fundraiser to raise grant money toward organizations that expand outdoor opportunities for youth girls. I’m hoping to summit 5 Cascade Volcanoes in the next few months, but which ones exactly depend on what resources are available… Like, I definitely can’t afford a guided Rainier trip (especially when I’m trying to RAISE money) but if I’m able to find a mentor and work towards it on our own then I’d definitely aim for the bigger climbs. Anyway, I’m hoping this plan sets me up for success no matter which ones I end up doing! If any of you are ever in the Mt. Hood area let me know!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.