Food intake within 30 min after training

• Creator
    Topic
    MichlRech
    Participant

Hi!
    May you can tell me some science background about this 30 min window for eating after finishing training to get a better recovery. You are advising that often but i couldn’t find any science.
    Thanks for all that great stuff!
    kind regards
    Michl

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #7055

Hi Michl,

I’m not sure what the research says, but I have noticed anecdotally what works for me. What and when I eat has a noticeable effect on food cravings later in the day.

After low intensity training, I don’t need to plan a recovery snack unless the session has been close to AeT in intensity and longer than two hours. For intense sessions above AeT, I refeed right after each workout.

If I don’t have a recovery meal after these types of workouts, I find that I have cravings for the rest of the day. If I refeed as described, I don’t have any cravings at all. Also, the volume of food required to eliminate cravings seems less if consumed right after training.

I realize that this is anecdotal, but hopefully it helps.

Scott (S)

Inactive
    Anonymous on #7058

Michl:
    Here are just a few of many, many scientific studies that cover this subject in great detail. While these studies explain the science behind the topic of eating within a recovery ‘window’ you can do your own experiments on yourself to see how you respond

Volek JS & Rawson ES. Scientific basis and practical aspects of creatine supplementation for atheletes. Nutrition 2004;20:609-614.

Pitkanen H, et al. Free Amino Acid pool and Muscle Protein Balance after Resistance Exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2003;35:784.

Chandler RM, et al. Dietary supplements affect the anabolic hormones after weight-training exercise. J Appl Physiol 1994;76:839.

Jentjens R & Jeukendrup A. Determinants of Post-Exercise Glycogen Synthesis during short term recovery. Sports Med 2003;33:117.

Levenhagen, et al. Postexercise nutrient intake timing in humans is critical to recovery of leg glucose and protein homeostasis. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001;280:E982.

Tipton, et al. Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2001;281:E197.

Van Loon, et al. Maximizing postexercise muscle glycogen synthesis: carbohydrate supplementation and the application of amino acid or protein hydrolysate mixtures. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;72:106.

Van Loon, et al. Ingestion of protein hydrolysate and amino acid-carbohydrate mixtures increases postexercise plasma insulin responses in men. J Nutr 2000;130:2508.

Borsheim E, et al. Essential amino acids and muscle protein recovery from resistance exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2002;283:E648.

Bemben MG & Lamont HS. Creatine supplementation and exercise performance: recent findings. Sports Med 2005;35:107.

Moore DR, et al. Ingested protein dose response of muscle and albumin protein synthesis after resistance exercise in young men. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;89:161-168.

Symons TB, et al. A moderate serving of high-quality protein maximally stimulates skeletal muscle protein synthesis in young and elderly subjects. J Am Diet Assoc 2009;109:1582-1586.

Campos GE, et al. Muscular adaptations in response to three different resistance-training regimens: specificity of repetition maximum training zones. Eur J Appl Physiol 2002;88:50-60.

ADA, Dietitians of Canada, ACSM, et al. American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Nutritions and athletic performance. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2009;41:709-731.

Haub MD, et al. Effect of protein source on resistive-training-induced changes in body composition and muscle size in older men. Am J Clin Nutr 2002;76:511-517.

Tipton KD, et al. Stimulation of net muscle protein synthesis by whey protein ingestion before and after exercise. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2007;292:E71-E76.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.