Fasted training as a rough indicator of fat max?

• Creator
    Topic
    Patrick
    Participant

Is there a rough correlation with one’s ability to do extended training in a fasted state and their fat max or is it possible to not burn fat, I assume via Gluconeogenesis even when fasted and doing zone 1 and 2 for 2plus hours?

I would like to get the fat max test done but haven’t as of yet. I have been trying to figure out how – when several months ago I shifted to fewer carbs and an overall better diet (less junk and nearly all real food) and started doing some fasted training my A1c started increasing! It’s been as if I am doing everything that should lower it and it went up – maybe for reasons other than average blood glucose but I haven’t figured it out yet. I can train faster and feel quite good – longest was an 11 miles hike, 4400’ of gain with a 32# pack ending that hike 20hrs fasted. I felt quite good the on that outting which I thought indicated I must be burning fat effectively but now I am not sure?

• Participant
    Dada on #78941

First of all, fasted training is outdated. It brings more harm than benefits.

When I’m completely running on fat and have used up all my carbs then I hit a fat burning wall. It’s around 5 bpm lower than my AeT depending on the sport.

Yes, you can burn glycogen when fasted since you have around 500g of glycogen in your muscles and 100g in your liver. So let’s asume, you burn 60g of carbs per hour and the glycogen storages are 100% full (which the are not after fasting) then you can go around 6h burning glycogen.

Participant
    Patrick on #78949

Interesting – can you elaborate on the detrimental aspects of training fasted?

Participant
    Dada on #80227

Sorry forgot to answer and since I stumbled across this article I remembered our conversation:

Studies Are (Again) Showing How Badly Athletes Need Carbs

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #80241

Patrick, as Dada notes, new research is confirming the importance of properly fuelling training, which means getting enough carbs. The notice below now appears on all articles on this site to do with fasted training. The key message: “please make sure you adequately fuel your training with a source of carbohydrate.”

Attention Uphill Athletes: The information in these articles provides outdated, incorrect, and potentially harmful information. Scientific knowledge evolves as new studies are done and we are on the forefront of tracking and keeping you updated on the current best practices. Since this article was published new scientific and experiential findings directly and definitively contradict the information provided in this article. Uphill Athlete’s long-time registered dietician, Rebecca Dent, is working on updating our community on the new best practices, including what the latest research and coaching experience indicates to be best practices, and why. In the meantime, we want you to fuel all of your training sessions appropriately, to make sure you have enough energy to train and recover ready for your next training session and so you can cope with the training load of the week. This will help to ensure you are eating enough energy day to day to support your health and enable you to reach your full fitness potential ultimately helping you achieve your goal of summit success or crossing that finish line. In the meantime, please make sure you adequately fuel your training with a source of carbohydrate.

Sincerely, Rebecca Dent, MSc Sport Nutrition – Sports Nutrition Diploma – International Olympic Committee and Steve House, Uphill Athlete founder.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.