European Mountain Vacations in September

• Creator
    Topic
    Mark
    Participant

Hi UA team,

I’ve had some free time open up in early-to-mid September and I am hoping to sneak in a week or so vacation somewhere in Europe. I am based in London so I’m pretty flexible.

September is a bit of a difficult one as the weather starts to take a turn for the worst. That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for places with relatively temperate climates around this time?

Aim is to get in 3-4 runs with around 40-50km/4000-5000m of vertical. If anyone has any recommendations I’d be grateful.

Posted In: Mountain Running

• Participant
    robsinco on #64886

Hey buddy,

Sounds like an awesome week of training to be had that!

Sure be some good flights for you from London but this is potentially on my radar from the skyrunning world series

https://en.pirinultra.com/

Looks seriously epic terrain with quality mountains and a nice wee place to visit. If the timing was not great certainly use the race route for area inspiration.

Other safe bets would include Chamonix or Annecy area, and then also heading down to Sierra Nevada south spain or Finnestrat area to the east near Pennysogolosa etc.

I am planning Kima for end August in the Val Masino area of Italy so this area could also be quality, which remind me, the Aosta Valley also in Italy well worth a visit!

Almost overwhelmed with choice here as a start to type…. hahaha. Hope that helps a bit!

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #64889

If you’re looking for less well-known spots, the Sondrio region of northern Italy is worth a look. It backs onto Bernina and Pontresina. I spent a wonderful month in Caspoggio late last spring.

Also worth looking at are the Orobie mountains (Alps and prealps) of Bergamo, my personal favourite. Not as much vert, but unlimited room to roam in territory that sees mostly only local tourism. If you like having the place to yourself among gorgeous landscape, this is a dream. My two particular favourites are Valseriana and Val di Scalve — Clusone (and nearby villages) is a great base for both. Val di Scalve in particular is still quite wild and it’s really easy in some spots to go out for a day and see hardly anyone. PLus it has the so-called ‘Orobie Dolomiti’. The first 2-3 weeks of Sept should still be okay weather-wise. The more popular rifugi (huts) should still be open until mid-Sept. If that region ends up on your short list I’d be happy to connect and give you tons of recommendations for routes.

Keymaster
    Jane Mackay on #64893

Actually, they’re referred to as the ‘Piccole Dolomiti’, at Schilpario: https://oggiesco.com/2020/06/28/val-di-scalve-passo-campelli/

Participant
    robsinco on #64894

Oucha boyo, Jane I might have to tab you up for some of these routes at Orobie, that sounds like a dream, local serenity! My friend Stefano is from Bergamo and each year pre covid we were doing trips to dolomites areas, but this could be perfecto.

Participant
    davelockyer101 on #64903

One option might be to go to Chamonix and then do the UTB circuit over 3 days staying in the Refuges. I think anywhere in the Alps might be a little unpredictable at that time of year weatherwise but you may get lucky…. Other than that the Dolomites look nice 🙂

Participant
    davelockyer101 on #64904

That should read UTMB…

Participant
    hafjell on #65004

Would be difficult to make a mistake. Most of the resorts will be open for another few weeks, restaurants and ski lifts should be open as well. Fewer tourists.

Participant
    Marion on #66284

Have a look at the south side of the Alps. If you want more rocks, the Dolomites in South Tyrol or Triglav national park in Slowenia are places to consider, the first one being more popular, probably overcrowded as we still having summer holidays in Austria, Bavaria and Italy at that time. And don’t go too low in South Tyrol, weather is still hot there in September! Triglav is more rural, more basic, less people.
    You’ll find smoother mountains in Austria, Carinthia, like the Nockberge, which are high but grass-covered, good for many kilometers and uphills but less technical difficulty. And the Gailtal being somewhere inbetween the rocky dolomites and the grass mountains – not only geographically.
    If the weather gods are good, also Tyrol, around Kitzbühel, and Salzburg, around the Hochkönig, are famous mountain running spots, but the risk of (too much) rain is higher than on the south side of the Alps.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.