Containers for water jug carries

• Creator
    Topic
    Mariner_9
    Participant

Might sound like a stupid question, but what kind of container do you recommend for water jug carries?

Water source for me is the Pacific, so I need something a wide mouth to make it easy and quick to fill to avoid getting saltwater on leather hiking boots. Large water bottles (4-liter) with narrow mouths were very tricky to fill. I’m not even sure what I should be looking for or where to buy it.

My previous ME was with weights (couldn’t dump water on the top floor or refill on the bottom floor) in a high-rise building, hence the question.

Thanks in advance.

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #6235

Mariner:

That’s a unique sounding problem. I like to use a bunch of smaller containers so they can sort of conform to my back. So, conventional wide mouth liter water bottles would be quick to fill but your need a bunch of them. You could just wear running shoes and not worry about getting your boots wet. Water is not as dense as sand or rocks so the water volume can be an issue when the weight gets high. There’s nothing wrong with carrying the weight down again. Its actually much more demanding and more specific to climbing. If your legs are strong that could be your solution and avoid water all together. Make some sand bags.

Scott

Participant
    Land on #6263

I’ve been thinking of a dry bag for that purpose, but used in the opposite way. Fill with water, insert in pack. I’m not totally sure how reliably watertight it would be. If all else fails, a cheap dry bag would be a good thing to fill with dirt or rocks and protect your pack.

Participant
    PaulB on #6303

Land: I’ve spent a lot of time whitewater rafting and kayaking and, in my experience, the only dry bags that are truly dry are Watershed bags which have a zip-lock type closure but are pretty expensive. Most roll-top style bags will leak a bit through the top roll but if you roll it correctly the leakage should be minimal. If you have anything else in your pack that is critical to stay dry (e.g. phone, key fob) you should probably put it in a zip-lock sandwich bag just to be safe.

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #6390

Thank you all for your replies.

After trying ME outside on the trail, I decided to switch to weighted box steps in the gym. The problem with the trail is that it just isn’t steep enough: the ratio of vertical to horizontal was far too low to get the effect I wanted. (Also, the vertical was only ~65 meters/213 feet!). I suppose this is the advantage of high-rise stairs or box steps.

It would be much nicer to be outside but steeper trails require a 30-40 minute drive and I don’t yet have a car here so that will have to wait!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.