classic vs skate skis vs splitboard

• Creator
    Topic
    DominicProvost
    Participant

I’m a splitboarder, I want to improve my split skiing and have something to do when avalanche conditions are super gnarly (which happens frequently in Revelstoke). I’m probably going to get some cross country skis to ride the local trails (the local nordic club is awesome). I rented classic skis once, it was fun. I don’t really know how to skate ski but I’m definitively interested in learning, but I definitively use a skate step to go over steep bumps on skin tracks with my splitboard. What is the Coaches recommendation in regards to the gear I should buy? My goal is to have fun and improve my split skiing, should I even bother getting nordic skis (I assume they’ll be easier to ski on groomed trails and that the skills acquired will transfer) or just get really good at skiing my split?

Posted In: Ski Mountaineering

• Participant
    xcevans on #44277

I cross country ski race both classic and skate along with backcountry skiing. Classic skiing is similar to skinning and would would be sport specific. Skating would give you fitness but not be as sport specific. The balance need to ski on narrow track skis and less supportive boots will help in the back country. I don’t know if you can skate on a split board but on bc skis I skate on flat approaches and flats on decents when the snow will support it. Track skiing either classic or skate when backcountry conditions are bad is good for fitness. Classic is easier than skate to keep heart rate down because you can walk with classic but there is a minimum energy output to keep skating.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #44286

Dominic;

I recommend that you get a decent pair of ‘skin’ classic skis. Spend a bit more and by some that are kinda low end racing skis. These skis have a short kicker skin embedded in the base under your foot to give you grip. Like xcevans I suggest you stick to classic skiing as it better mimics the demands of ski touring. The skin skis will allow you to forgo kick waxing (which is one of the biggest challenges in classic skiing) while giving you a wide range temps and conditions you can get out in.

Scott

Participant
    Aaron on #44770

Totally agree with Scott. Everyone where I live is moving to higher end skinned classic skis vs traditional waxed classics, even really experienced racers. So practical. Buy quality skis from a quality shop to ensure you get the right length and stiffness as you still want the same individually tuned ‘wax (skin!) pocket’.

I have never had the technique or fitness to make skate skiing a Z1/2 activity – way too much z3. Just sold my skate skis for this reason, not compatible for me with z1/2 base.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.