Books on Building Mental Toughness

• Creator
    Topic
    chris12stewart
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I guess the title says it all….Can anyone recommend some great books on building mental toughness in sport? I’m not looking for a quick fix, but rather, methods that I can apply to my own sport-of-choice to build mental toughness (e.g. run in inclement conditions at least once a week, run in the cold, etc.) Thanks!

Chris

Thomas Summer, MD on #54826

practice mindfulness! There is only one moment. You don’t have to be tough, you just have to deal with what’s in front of you. It’s simple, but it takes a lot of practice.

hope that’s helpful!?

kalipe!
    Thomas

Participant
    TerryLui on #54862

I’m not looking for a quick fix, but rather, methods that I can apply to my own sport-of-choice to build mental toughness (e.g. run in inclement conditions at least once a week, run in the cold, etc.)

I found this book interesting:

Grit Book

But as you already mentioned in your post, go do hard things. Things that make you feel uncomfortable. Go about it safely and with appropriate planning/prep but if it’s something that scares you (mentally, emotionally), go do it.
    Do it and see it through. Or place yourself in a position where you must see it through (ex. pay for a non-refundable trip that will push your limits).

Start small and increase the challenge level gradually (if you want to avoid PTSD).

Participant
    Zach.jin on #54889

I really enjoyed this one a couple years ago: Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance

“The capacity to endure is the key trait that underlies great performance in virtually every field. But what if we all can go farther, push harder, and achieve more than we think we’re capable of?

Blending cutting-edge science and gripping storytelling in the spirit of Malcolm Gladwell—who contributes the book’s foreword—award-winning journalist Alex Hutchinson reveals that a wave of paradigm-altering research over the past decade suggests the seemingly physical barriers you encounter as set as much by your brain as by your body. This means the mind is the new frontier of endurance—and that the horizons of performance are much more elastic than we once thought.

But, of course, it’s not “all in your head.” For each of the physical limits that Hutchinson explores—pain, muscle, oxygen, heat, thirst, fuel—he carefully disentangles the delicate interplay of mind and body by telling the riveting stories of men and women who’ve pushed their own limits in extraordinary ways.

The longtime “Sweat Science” columnist for Outside and Runner’s World, Hutchinson, a former national-team long-distance runner and Cambridge-trained physicist, was one of only two reporters granted access to Nike’s top-secret training project to break the two-hour marathon barrier, an extreme quest he traces throughout the book. But the lessons he draws from shadowing elite athletes and from traveling to high-tech labs around the world are surprisingly universal. Endurance, Hutchinson writes, is “the struggle to continue against a mounting desire to stop”—and we’re always capable of pushing a little farther.”

Inactive
    Anonymous on #55353

And of course:

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.

🙂

Participant
    Mariner_9 on #55779

Jerry Moffat’s new book, Mastermind, might be of use? I haven’t read it yet so can’t confirm. https://www.v-publishing.co.uk/books/climbing/mastermind/

Participant
    Aaron on #54928

The science of ultra podcast covers mental components in various episodes. Here is one https://www.scienceofultra.com/podcasts/83

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.