Avoiding overtraining when spending every weekend in the mountains.

• Creator
    Topic
    iamarnav
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I could adapt the TFTNA training plan to my situation. I am not going climbing anytime soon unfortunately, as I’m recovering from a badly broken wrist. I am fortunate enough to live near the mountains of New England however, so I am going backpacking or hiking every week – typically 6 – 18 hours of zone 1 every weekend depending on what I do. I also have several nearby training hills right on the Appalachian Trail I can access on weekdays. I am asking because I do not want this to contribute to overtraining, as this is well above the weekly load outlined huh for most people.

Currently, I’m starting my base period. I’ve elected to skip the transition period, as over the last year, I have been getting 10+ hours of activity/training every week(although nowhere near as efficient as the methods outlined in TFTNA).

I definitely do want to keep my long sessions in the mountains every weekend, but at the same time avoid overtraining. I was thinking that:

1: Eat extra calories in the weekend to make back everything I burned. Don’t want to operate on a caloric deficiency and hurt my recovery time.

2: Modulate training load. Weeks where I plan to spend a long time hiking on the weekends, I’ll reduce my load on the preceding weekdays.

3: Weekday Plan: Have 2 strength workouts on the weekdays, 1 zone 3-4 intense hiking workout with a heavy pack, and fill the rest of the volume with easy zone 1 hiking or cycling. This additional Z1 depends on how much I plan to do on weekend (modulation)

I would really appreciate any input on my planned approach.

Another thing I would like to add is prior to TFTNA, I was rarely getting Z1 workouts. I was always going much harder (no pain no gain basically) I now understand this is limiting me in the mountains greatLy. If you had any advice on how I can resolve this deficiency, I’d really appreciate it.

Thank You.

Arnav

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #43964

I don’t have much to add. It seems like a good plan.

There’s no magic number for overtraining volume. What is overtraining for someone new could be detraining for someone else.

Test yourself to make sure you’re using the right intensities.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.