AeT

• Creator
    Topic
    Chris
    Participant

So I’m just in the first couple of weeks of the 16 week Big Mountain plan and have recently done the AeT test and have a couple of questions

After a false run the one day(had my fitbit on pause for part of it – end up with a Pa:Hr of -80% so not reliable). On my next try I have a 11 min warm up and about 43 min for the main session. I ran at what I felt a comfortable jog (6km in that time) and did stop at some intersections during that time. I was breathing through my nose all the time at a slow steady rate. At intersections I could easily have a long conversation (if I was with anyone)

On the other hand the heart rate was max 188 and average 174. The Pa:Hr was at -3.24%, IF at 0.77 at EF at 0.87.

The main question is should I continue at this pace for AeT training or should I adjust to a slower pace and heart rate (e.g. 145-150 bpm)

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #28981

First, what are you measuring your heart rate with? If it’s without a chest strap, then I would disregard what you’re seeing. It won’t be close enough to train with. A Fitbit, in particular, isn’t designed for proper endurance training. (Or do some Fitbits come with chest straps?)

Second, the test has to be continuous at a constant pace. That’s why we recommend using a treadmill. Breaks at intersections will be too long.

Third, we’ve moved away from using the nasal breathing as an indicator of aerobic thresholds. It really only works with athletes with a long history of endurance training. It’s more reliable to use the drift test.

Fourth, the be-able-to-have-a-conversation rule of thumb is during activity, not after stopping.

Fifth, I would get a heart rate monitor with a chest strap and re-do the test on a treadmill.

Participant
    Chris on #28982

It’s definitely not chest strap. Will have a look at getting one with a chest strap. In the mean time treadmill with a wrist monitor is the best I’ve got for now

With point 4 should probably have also added that even jogging rate of breathing was slow and steady (deeper than at rest though) and difference in rate between jogging and stopped isn’t much.
    Might just carry on at that pace til then

Inactive
    Anonymous on #29018

Chris;

We coach a number of athletes who are sponsored by the various HR monitor/GPS watch companies. These folks get the latest and greatest offerings from the big three, Garmin, Suunto and Polar. Even the $800 watches can not deliver reliable HR data from the wrist. ANY movement of the watch on the wrist screws up the readings. Hence those crazy high HRs you were seeing. At this stage in the technology development these wrist based HR monitors are merely a marketing trick.

Scott

Participant
    briguy on #29032

Scott – Believe it or not, $800 is merely the “mid” point of prices for GPS watches these days. Garmin just released its latest Fenix (6) which goes up to $1200 fully tricked out. And they have had their “Marq” series for a while now, which goes up to $1500 if I recall correctly.

Participant
    Harsh Vagabond on #33993

I’m struggling to determine my Aerobic Threshold Test for Zone 1 and 2.
    I started with the 16 week Big Mountain Training Plan from today. And my test results are as follows

Used Wahoo Tickr X Chest Heart Rate Monitor which is mostly accurate.
    Measured Heart rate for the first 15 minutes with 10% incline on a treadmill. Started recording heart rate after 15 minutes to begin the test. Set the treadmill at 10% incline and speed of 4.7 kph for next one hour to begin the test at a stable heart rate around 113bpm
    First half ( 0- 30 minutes ) Avg HR : 114 bpm
    Second half ( 30:01 minutes to 60 minutes) Avg HR : 119bpm
    Can someone please help me find out my AeT and Zones so that I can train right and get better in a sustainable way 🙂

Thanks in advance.

Harsh

Participant
    Jan on #33995

Divide HR of 2nd half by HR of 1st half, substract 1 and multiply by 100:

119/114 = 1.043859649122807
    -1 = 0.043859649122807
    *100 = 4.3859649122807

So your HR drift is 4.4 %, which is close enough to 5 %. So 114 is a good estimation, let`s take 115 though. You can set that as your AeT HR and the upper limit of Zone 2. Zone 1 is between AeT-10% and AeT-20%.

Zone 1: HR 92-104
    Zone 2: HR 105-115

For the zones above Zone 2, you need the AnT-Test.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #34085

What @jan said!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.