AET test – long warmup necessary?

• Creator
    Topic
    floresrm
    Participant

I’m starting a new training cycle, so I did an AET test on an incline treadmill.

How long do people generally warm up for before an AET test?

I’ve found that it takes about 25 minutes of warming up until my HR really stabilizes. Even on training hikes or actual climbs, I find that going quick straight out of the gate negatively affects my performance, even like an hour later, whereas spending 25-30 minutes starting slow and gradually increasing speed pays off

Are there any detriments to a longer warmup when doing an AET test?
    I could definitely see how too short a warmup could screw up results.
    I was a little concerned the longer warmup could affect the test.

Posting the link to the TP graph.
    Any feedback on the test itself welcome!

LINK
    https://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/UW54ZYNLRMDEZTI4FEYTRMETSU

WARMUP (20 mins)
    I kept the incline at 10% throughout and gradually increased the speed until about minute 20.

FIRST 30 MINUTES
    Average HR: 155
    Kept the incline and speed constant.

SECOND 30 MINUTES
    Average HR: 161
    Kept the incline and speed constant

(Second Half – First Half) / First Half
    (161 – 155) / 155 = 3.8%

AET = 150

• Participant
    Shashi on #54900

Your warm-up time is okay. When I was still figuring out the incline/speed combination for desired target HR, my warm-up was 30+ minutes. Most tests, I have seen warm-ups in 15-30 minute range. The test looks good based on the first half and second half numbers you posted.

Your HR at the start of the warm-up is 126, which seemed high. There might have been some other activity that resulted in this high heart rate or you started tracking HR a few minutes into the workout.

Participant
    floresrm on #54904

Thanks Shashi!

Yeah, I took a brisk walk to the gym (it’s about 5 minutes away).
    I guess I should have included it!

Participant
    Shashi on #54906

You don’t have to include it. I just thought will clarify and make sure I am not missing anything. Your test is good.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #54911

Really well done.

As Shashi said, there’s no downside to a long warm-up. In contrast, it’s actually better as you’ve noticed. It takes longer for the aerobic system to become fully engaged.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.