AeT HR Drift Test without a treadmill, any other suggestions?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi crew,

I’m super new to all of this and trying to decipher acronyms and how to put all of this so that it works for me (lots of reading, watching videos, trying to learn more about physiology and nutrition, etc…). Like many people here, I am trying to get my AeT right, as a lot of following the training relies on it.

With Covid-19 I do not have access to a treadmill, so I used the road for this, which seemed really flat to me. During my first attempt, my HR stabilized at 139, averaging 140, min 131 and max 148. The Pa:Hr ratio was 5.94%. I followed the instructions where it said to try to keep the HR closer to that average HR during the second half of the workout. To achieve that I had to slow way down, walking at times, instead of running. I did use a strap HR monitor (Wahoo) and the Wahoo app. so the Pa:Hr was over 5%, which according to the website means my heartrate was too high. I was nearly walking, so that means I will have to walk to achieve that?

I am also confused as to what my zones would be. Let’s just say this result of this test was ok, would that mean that 140 would be the top of my zone 2, and 128 would be the top of zone 1?

Thanks for your help. I’ve read a few threads and understand that the treadmill is more reliable, but unfortunately I don’t have access to one. Nor to a flat track here where I live (small village in the mountains, with a flattish road which accesses the town). So I am looking at how I am going to solve this.

I appreciate your help and any thoughts, suggestions or ideas.

Cheers

Bia

• Participant
    nullkru on #40118

Hi Bia,

i did my AeT test also outdoors. But i needed 3, or 4 attempts. I started with a way too low HR at first. Here is how i came to a more or less plausible result.

First find a loop that you could run several times withing one hour.
        Super easy warmup for 15-20 minutes.
        Then ramp up to your expected HR (e.g. 145bpm) and start to run the loop (remember where your started and remember the time on your watch, or hit lap)
        now during the hour stay as close to your initial HR (145bpm) as possible
        after one hour, or close to one hour when you pass your starting point hit lap again
        cooldown, and go check your Pa:HR 🙂

If your Pa:HR ist negative, or way above 5% try it with a new HR and do it all over again.

i hope this helps.

I am also confused as to what my zones would be. Let’s just say this result of this test was ok, would that mean that 140 would be the top of my zone 2, and 128 would be the top of zone 1?

yes sounds about right!

Have a great day — mirko

Inactive
    Anonymous on #40141

Thanks Mirko.

I don’t think 5.84% is way above the 5%, but how much is way above? Saw people talking 12, 13, 20%? I’m assuming anything above 5%, I need to do it again? So is walking ok?

Also, apologies for my maths, for the example above I meant 140 max zone 2 and 126 for zone 1.

Participant
    nullkru on #40330

Hi Bia,

i think 5.8% drift is ok. Probably on another day the same run was a 4.5% drift, based on how rested, stressed or whatever life throws at you. For the best results a lab test is the standard but right now this seems difficult :).

Walking is ok in my opinion.

but maybe one of the real experts should answer here something too 🙂
    have a great day — mirko

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.