AeT Drift Tests, finishing transition period

• Creator
    Topic
    miles
    Participant

Hello – sorry for another post about the drift test, but I’d like some help interpreting my two attempts. I tried to post this last night, but think I was filtered out because I included training peaks links. I’ll screen shot this time.

8 weeks into structured training, annual volume of 600 hours in 2020, lots of time at low intensity. Max HR of 214bpm, I have not completed an AnT test, but I plan to next week. I warmed up for both tests for 15 minutes, the warm ups are not included in the files.

AeT Test #1: Very well rested, aimed for 150bpm, the course was an out and back with 60ft of loss, then 60ft of gain. I think that threw off the test, leading me to believe my AeT was near ~155bpm when it was not.
    2.4% Pa:Hr, 152 bpm avg, 1h, 9:20min/mi, 6.5mi, ~60’+/-

8 weeks laters… AeT Test #2: I have been training with 157bpm at top of Z2 based on the past test. With the uphill/downhill nature in mind I decided to retest on a loop aiming for 160bpm, hoping to slightly overshoot my AeT. Instead, I had a “better” result, and am questioning the tests validity.
    0.4% Pa:Hr, 162bpm, 1h, 9:10min/mi, 6.6mi, ~80’+/- (but rolling terrain this time!)

Both efforts were certainly aerobic. The second test I had more trouble maintaining a consistent HR, partially because I was unfamiliar with running at this pace. I was not as well rested for the second test, but was rested.

I plan to retest, and am considering running on a track if that’s advisable. Open to any feedback about these tests but am particularly curious if (1) either is valid (2) which to place more reliance on, and suggestions for a HR to aim for in future testing. Regardless I’ll keep running at an easy pace, but would like to nail down my HR zones before the long base period.

Thank you,
    Miles

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Participant
    Shashi on #49468

For both outdoor AeT tests, terrain was relatively flat, HR seemed relatively stable and Pa:Hr is < 5%. Try sharing the training peaks link again.

Have you done your AnT Test?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #49579

I agree with Shashi. It was probably in the ballpark. If you can do the next one on a track, then the Pa:HR metric in Training Peaks will be helpful to narrow it down.

Also, as Shashi revisited, if you can do an AnT test (well-rested), then comparing the two will give you a solid perspective on your current base.

Participant
    miles on #49580

Hi Scott, Shashi – I tried to reply with links but think I got filtered out again.

I completed the AnT Test and found an average HR of 180 over the 30 minute effort.

I’m working with 162 as my AeT for now until I give the test another go on a track. I appreciate the advice. I’m thinking of jumping up a “bucket” to ~165 for the next AeT test. As this puts me within the 10% rule, I’m planning to very carefully add in intervals on some groomer skinning days.

Thank you both.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.