Aerobic Threshold test questions

• Creator
    Topic
    gliderx
    Participant

Hi I am new here, I just need some clarification around the Aerobic threshold test. I am planning to do the outdoors test.

1. How long until I can determine my HR has stabilised before starting the GPS?

2. Do I run for 1 hour total or only after the GPS is started?

3. What heart rate am I suppose to run at? example if I do a 140bpm run how do I know my threshold isn’t at 150bpm? do I need to keep doing the test until I find a heart rate drift? if my heart rate is too slow wont it give me a lower AeT?

• Participant
    gliderx on #21833

I am doing the 24 week mountaineering plan. Do I need to do the Anaerobic test as well? it doesn’t seem to be in the training plan.

Participant
    NotOnEiger on #21834

You want to be at your presumed AeT for at least 1 hour or longer without changing pace or incline etc. to be able to calculate HR drift. So yes, you start the clock when you think you are at your AeT. You don’t really look for a HR target here unless you are quite certain where you should be at. You look for a steady state exercise at your “Nosebreathing” level and then you start your clock. To do this on a treadmill is much easier I find.

Participant
    gliderx on #21835

Oh I would have to run for an hour while breathing through my nose? seems like hiking on a treadmill would be much easier.

I still don’t understand how I can presume my AeT? I must be missing something.

Or is the idea of breathing through my nose until its too hard give me my AeT?

Participant
    TerryLui on #21837

Hey gliderx,
    1) Standard test procedure says 10 minutes, every person is different but start there and see. You may need more/less time.

2) Correct

3a) Try the MAF calculation (180 minus your age) as a starting point. The test is more about being able to sustain a pace that allows you to “nose breathe” in order to determine the heart rate your AeT is at versus pre-determining/guessing what your AeT HR is and then holding it despite your body potentially not being within your AeT
    This thread may shed some light for you:

Repeating Aerobic Threshold Test

3b) Correct, keep doing the test until you find your AeT. Using TrainingPeaks.com is an excellent tool to help with that calculation. You can get a free account

3c) Good question, I assume that starting off w/ a lower HR would yield you little/no HR drift but hopefully someone else will chime in with better insight

4) Again, hope someone else will chime in with more insight but I also have the 24 week program (good choice!) and have not done the AnT test

Here is another thread that may be helpful:

Repeating Aerobic Threshold Test

Participant
    gliderx on #21839

OK nice information there thank you.

I think I will stick to the run, which I think will have to be super slow to have my heart rate that low, but I will try.

Essentially if I am reading right I run for 10 minutes probably have a heart rate of 180-my age make sure its steady, start my GPS and run for an hour on flat circuit.

Participant
    Rachel on #21843

I would do a nice long warmup for at least 20 minutes. Start the warmup walking really slow. The idea is to get your aerobic system “fully online.”

Inactive
    Anonymous on #21845

Thanks for the responses Rachel and Terry and Eiger. All good stuff.

Terry: Nice to see you at the talk in Vancouver last night. Thanks for begin a good sport with my joking.

Scott

Participant
    gliderx on #21894

So I did my threshold test today, I would like to post results but when uploading my Movescount file it is saying the duration is 18mins 49 seconds but in the file it says duration is 3604 seconds. Anyone else experienced this? how do you fix this?

I have attached the file I am uploading.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant
    gliderx on #21900

Sorry I fixed the above the issue was my watch was 12 hours out and it went over to a new day. I just changed the 01:xx to 13:xx.

Anyway onto my threshold results can I get some advice:

– 15 minute warm up on treadmill heart rate up to 135
    – Started the test 4.2km/hr @ 12 incline
    – First 30 minutes low: 132 / high: 148 / Ave: 141
    – Second 30 minutes low: 143 / high: 154 / Ave: 147

So I think thats like a 4.2% drift between 141 and 147? so is that good enough or do I need to do another test and get it closer to 5%?

If this is fine what is my AeT? is it 141, 147 or somewhere in between?

Sorry for the wall of text but thanks again!

Participant
    sam.ley on #21931

– First 30 minutes low: 132 / high: 148 / Ave: 141
    – Second 30 minutes low: 143 / high: 154 / Ave: 147

I’m just another guy working this out for myself, but from my understanding of the test, your AeT would be 141 bpm, since that was your starting point. 4.2% is very close to 5% – even if your “real” AeT is one BPM higher, you are probably in the noise of the test. I’d recommend basing your training on the 141 value for now, and in several weeks, test again.

If that felt super slow, take heart – my AeT has been rising steadily with the low intensity training and is now ~158-160. I’m running much faster paces than before, all while comfortably nose-breathing. It does work, it just takes some time.

Participant
    gliderx on #21955

Hi Sam thanks,

Perhaps this requires its own thread but I went outside for a test “run” today and its almost impossible. No matter how slow I ran my heart rate is 150-160, I tried to go as slow as possible, literally nearly jogging on the spot. The funny thing is I can run much faster over 1.5-2hrs and have the same heart rate. I gave up after 20 minutes.

heart rate: http://prntscr.com/nnsi64 (You can tell when I start walking, and any running movement automatically puts me over 150)

speed: http://prntscr.com/nnsiq7

A few times I just started walking. How am I supposed to go for a run and have my heart rate be in 130-140 zone? do I just hike on a treadmill instead until my AeT is 160?

Inactive
    Anonymous on #21959

gliderx:

From the sounds of what your test indicated you have what we call Aerobic Deficiency Syndrome (ADS) See this article for a full explanation https://uphillathlete.com/aerobic-deficiency-syndrome/. To actually determine the extent of this aerobic deficiency read this https://uphillathlete.com/when-to-add-intensity-training/. We see your situation frequently. You probably have done the bulk of your aerobic training at that 150-160 range and have developed considerable economy at that pace.

The fact that you can’t run below those heart rates is a classic sign of ADS. There is only one way to elevate that aerobic threshold and hat is by extensive training below that intensity. I know this can be disturbing to hear, frustrating to implement and confusing to understand. That’s why we’ve written so much on this topic and why you will find, in our testimonials, and here on this forum, many stories of people who were in your same situation. In every case they report vast improvement in aerobic threshold HR and pace.

If you can’t run then you will have to walk. The process works. It just takes time and lots of volume to correct this ADS.

Scott

Inactive
    Anonymous on #21960

gliderx:

From the sounds of what your test indicated you have what we call Aerobic Deficiency Syndrome (ADS) See this article for a full explanation https://uphillathlete.com/aerobic-deficiency-syndrome/. To actually determine the extent of this aerobic deficiency read this https://uphillathlete.com/when-to-add-intensity-training/. We see your situation frequently. You probably have done the bulk of your aerobic training at that 150-160 range and have developed considerable economy at that pace.

The fact that you can’t run below those heart rates is a classic sign of ADS. There is only one way to elevate that aerobic threshold and hat is by extensive training below that intensity. I know this can be disturbing to hear, frustrating to implement and confusing to understand. That’s why we’ve written so much on this topic and why you will find, in our testimonials, and here on this forum, many stories of people who were in your same situation. In every case they report vast improvement in aerobic threshold HR and pace.

If you can’t run then you will have to walk. The process works. It just takes time and lots of volume to correct this ADS.

Scott

Participant
    gliderx on #21961

Thanks Scott for the clarification. Looks like I am going to have to walk for a while!

Would you agree that my AeT is 141 based on my results for above?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.