ADS training, volume, fatigue and core work

• Creator
    Topic
    daniel.p.armstrong
    Participant

Hi All,

Im currently working to correct ADS and am operating on 12ish hours a week of running. Im starting to see some gains but they’re pretty slow and I have quite a large heart rate range to improve on – 135 now > 175 goal. I understand this may take ages, and don’t mind if it ends up taking me until the next year, however I would like to make faster progress.

I am managing 12 hours a week pretty well, i feel fatigued until a few hours before bed time butit doesn’t impact my day to day at all and its all gone by the next day, My legs always feel fresh every run. So I would like to increase training volume, I will increase slowly – 1 hour per week extra each week. My main question is how much can i safely increase? If it changes anything, I am in my early twenties and pretty lean. As a way to moniter how I am handling higher loads how should I feel when i am training at my tolerance for base work? Should it be fatigue that lasts fight until i fall asleep? Should my legs feel tired?

So main questions out of the way, I have two more if thats alright. Firstly, core work – is it fine to do this during ADS training? I stuggle to do the excerises that involve my legs – can’t hold legs up straight in the air for windshielf wipers, can’t do the back bridge. This seems to stem from my legs – they hurt when i try to do these excerises. I know this will improve with time, but will it hurt my ADS progress?

Finally, the equivalence between time and distance. 100K at 6 min/k will take much longer than 100k at 4:30/k. For athletes correcting ADS, if they maintain distances, they will see their training time drop as they get faster and move their aerobic threshold to higher speeds. Does this mean athletes with faster aerobic tresholds will make slower progress with ADS? Or is the distance/calorie expendature more important. In other words this question can be asked as is 10 hours of Z1 better than 7-8 hours of Z2 better for correcting ADS, assuming the distances run are the same? Intuintion, plus what elites under Canova do (40k at 95% marathon pace) seems to indicate that the distance is the important factor.

Sorry for the wall of questions, just trying to learn as much as possible as I am self=coaching.

Many thanks and hope you guys are all enjoying spring/early summer!!

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #42233

I have quite a large heart rate range to improve on – 135 now > 175 goal.

Why 175? That seems overly ambitious. What benchmark or test is leading you to think that that’s a realistic target?

My main question is how much can i safely increase…

If you’re fully recovered in 24 hours, then I think you’re on the right track.

is it fine to do this during ADS training?

Yes, no problem.

…is 10 hours of Z1 better than 7-8 hours of Z2 better for correcting ADS, assuming the distances run are the same?

When curing ADS, focus on duration and let the distance take care of itself. Distance is an important metric in a race context, but for ADS, duration is much more relevant.

Z2 will be better than Z1, but Z1 is not wasted time by any means. Overall, it’s the most important intensity.

Intuition, plus what elites under Canova do (40k at 95% marathon pace) seems to indicate that the distance is the important factor.

Comparing ADS and a Canova runner prepping for a marathon is like comparing apples and… a rare fruit on a special plant on Mars!

…just trying to learn as much as possible as I am self=coaching.

My general recommendation is to be conservative and patient. Don’t worry about squeezing every last drop of energy. Do what feels like 80% of your training potential, and do it over a long, long time. You’ll progress more consistently with that approach.

And don’t worry about Canova until you’re AnT/AeT gap is 8% or less (preferably by pace)!

Participant
    daniel.p.armstrong on #42246

Thanks Scott,

I am aiming for 175 as my anerobic threshold is way up just above 190 I Did this test over a 6k, 1000 meter hill climb and it took just under an hour and 190 was my average heart rate. So low to mid 170’s is the target.

When I was doing workouts I would often see my max heart rate as 205+ towards the end so an AnT of 190 doesn’t seem suspect to me. As another point, I did a hill race with about 35 minutes climbing and my average for that was 193 BPM after it had climbed to a steady state. All of these were done with a heart rate strap

Inactive
    Anonymous on #42301

Great. AnT assumptions and AeT target make sense.

FYI: I have a client that started with a similar, 40% gap. After eight months, he’s closed it to 20%. That’s not a prediction for you, but just some reassurance that it will improve. Patience and diligence are key!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.