ADS: slow uphill running vs. slow walking

• Creator
    Topic
    Dada
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’ve been doing mountaineering, alpinism and skimo quite a while. A couple of weeks ago I discovered the Training for the new Alpinism book. I figured out that I have classic aerobic base deficiency. I’m the classic example: in the earlier days, I was doing track and field (high jump and long jump) and my training was exclusively anaerobic. When I transferred to mountaineering, alpinism and skimo, my heart rate remained always quite high and I need to refuel a lot during ascents. Since I wanted to change something, I started to do high volumes below AeT three weeks ago. Since I suffer from ADS, I’m really, really slow. My standard home-based training consists of long runs in flat area with hilly sections (max height of the hills is 50m / 150ft). Now my question about that hilly sections (with the disciplines mountaineering, alpinism and skimo in mind):

Should I rather run very slowly on a moderate inclination OR should I walk on steep inclination very, very slowly (so slow that my GPS thinks I’m standing still)?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
    Dada

• Participant
    allan.xperia on #20511

I assume that your uphill walking speed is faster than your uphill running speed at the same gradient and the same heart rate?

So it seems to me that you should be able to find a gradient where the choice is between running very slowly and walking at normal pace. Which means that your dilemma shouldn’t exist.

Am I missing something?

Participant
    Rachel on #20513

I would say do both. Personally I like to mix things up to have variety and to avoid injury. And I still can’t run uphill at all under my AeT. At first I didn’t want to go up anything super steep because of how slow I had to go, so I walked up more moderate slopes. Now I’m doing more steep stuff again, still slow, but not agonizingly slow.

Participant
    Dada on #20514

Thank you very much, Allan and Rachelp!

@Allan: the question is which form of training is more beneficial according to mountaineering, alpinism and skimo assuming same heart rate but different slope and pace – running or walking?

@Rachelp: that’s true, variety pleads for noth forms

Inactive
    Anonymous on #20530

At this point, I don’t think it matters. The important thing is keeping your training low intensity rather than specific. Later, when you’ve fixed your ADS, then your high intensity training should be specific. But right now, do the type of training that you enjoy the most and/or mix the two for variety.

And as far as being able to run uphill under AeT, it depends on the grade. In a skimo context (with grades of ~25%), the pros only run during a sprint race which would be a ~4′ maximum “VO2” pace. That’s way, way above AeT. Long course race pace is well below sprint pace. And AeT pace is well below long course race pace. Basically, having to walk up steep hills to stay below AeT is normal.

Participant
    allan.xperia on #20540

Dada, I understand your question. I am questioning the two possible answers that you lined up yourself. They do not seem to cover all alternatives.

Participant
    pshyvers on #20598

I’ll echo Scott. I’ve been in your shoes. Just focus on breaking through ADS. Do whatever it takes to stay in your target HR zone. If you have to walk up the hill, walk. Walk slowly, walk fast, jog slowly, just target that HR zone. Worry about specificity for your training later.

I started out doing a lot of my work on a stationary bike because I was in an awkward spot where it was difficult to walk fast enough to get my HR up, but even the slowest possible running pace got my HR too high. (16:00-17:00 mile pace) Just do what it takes to hit those zones.

You’ll get through it, and you’ll be glad you did.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.