Acclimatize with snow and gear

• Creator
    Topic
    Anurag Doshi
    Participant

The only experience I have with snow is when it snows in Seattle. But, I have decided to go try and summit Mt. Rainier in June with RMI. I know it is crazy but can somebody suggest how do I get acclimatized with the snow and gear?

MarkPostle on #59033

I would very highly recommend that you get some time in boots and crampons Anurang and some instruction with using an ice axe for basic glacier travel. They will certainly cover some of the basics on the trip but I think it would give you a lot of confidence to have developed some of those skills before hand. The simplest way would be to just hire a guide for a couple of days of instruction that is tailored to your needs. If you just want to cover the basic snow/glacier travel skills I would actually wait until early spring when the snowpack is firmed up and more like it will be on Rainier. You could certainly do it over in the North Cascades or similar if you want. I can point you in the right direction if you need.

Participant
    Anurag Doshi on #59034

Thank you Mark. I like both your ideas about hiring a guide and spending time in North Cascades. Any pointers you can give me would be extremely helpful.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.