5% HR Drift Science?

• Creator
    Topic
    Rodney
    Participant

What is the science behind the 5% HR drift test to determine AeT, as explained in https://uphillathlete.com/heart-rate-drift/? Does this appear in the literature or some study, or is this something that the folks at UphillAthlete have found from their own experience?

• Inactive
    Anonymous on #37962

I think it’s all anecdotal, observed over hundreds of athletes. The idea originated with Joe Friel from Training Peaks.

I wasn’t a fan of it at first, but having used it with many athletes, it’s always been within ~5 beats of aerobic threshold heart rate when compared to a lab test. So pretty damn accurate.

Like most things in training, it’s probably one of those things that coaches discover and then the physiologists figure out why it works a couple of decades later.

Inactive
    Anonymous on #37969

Scott Semple is correct. There is no science or study behind this. It comes from, and is supported by, empirical observations made over decades on hundreds or even thousands of athletes.

As I mention in the article, when the first Polar wearable HR monitors became available (got mine in 1982), coaches and athletes began to notice that in extended runs their HRs tended to drift upward in the later stages of the run even if they were holding a constant pace. More interesting was that the higher the pace, the more the HR drift.

The same can be said for the 10% rule that we espouse here.

Bear in mind something that I have said in several places on this site and our books: By a large margin, coaches tend to lead the way (over the sports scientists) when it comes to discovering effective training tools. When you have thousands of coaches and millions of guinea pig athletes over several decades the best practices float to the top. This occurs through an evolutionary process of trial and error, hypothesizing and testing ideas in the ultimate laboratory that is competition. Years later a study comes along and “prove” what coaches have known all along.

I hope this helps.
    Scott

Participant
    Rodney on #37971

Ok, understood, thanks guys!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.