24-week TP and ChamoFit questions

• Creator
    Topic
    NataliyaZhuravleva
    Participant

Hello,

First of all, I’d like to thank you for the knowledge you share in your books, website, podcasts, training plans, and programs. I have been going to the mountains for five years. Also, I’m a rock and ice climber. I teach basic technical skills to students (I’m an instructor at a local alpine club). However, I always struggle with endurance. It’s funny, isn’t it?

I’m a SUPER slow one. For example, my last average speed up to Mt.Baker base camp with a 24 lb backpack was 0.9 mph (approach in 4:46 hr), and from the base camp to the summit without a load, my speed was 0.37mph (7 hours to summit). Usually, my HR is consistently over 160 (AeT 138). Sometimes, I have to stop every 5-10 minutes because I am not able to go. It’s just hard to breathe, my legs don’t hurt.

At the moment, I see my progress just by following your training plan. Three weeks ago, I was able to do a treadmill session with a 15% grade incline (under my AeT) at 2.5mph, and today my speed was 3.2mph. It doesn’t seem like much progress, but for me, it’s a big step forward. Thank you for everything you do.

I have several questions about the 24-week training plan and the ChamoFit program.

1. Is the warm-up included in the duration of the workout? Or do I need to warm up first and then start the timer?

2. I would like to spend 12 weeks instead of 8 weeks in the Transition Period. Should I just repeat weeks 5-8 or do I need to increase the volume for additional weeks? If yes, how to do it right? Also, I’d like to spend 20 weeks in the Base period instead of 8 weeks.

3. I’m in my 3rd week, and I’m already seeing the progress. This is amazing! What is a reasonable time to repeat Drift Test and adjust my HR zones? Like every 4 weeks? Every 8 weeks?

4. I just bought the ChamoFit program and I’d like to use it instead of the core and general strength workouts. Now, I do 2x core routine and 2x general strength. How to incorporate the ChamoFit program into my training plan in that case? ChamoFit program recommends starting with Level 0. However, this is only a 10 minutes workout. Do I need to repeat Level 0 exercises six times to reach a 1-hour workout duration?

5. The ChamoFit program doesn’t have a description of when I should move to the next level (maybe I missed something?). Could you, please, clarify that?

Thank you very much.

• Participant
    Eddie on #70815

Fellow rock climber here, turned endurance athlete. I’m no expert (<3 years training), but to my UA understanding:

> 1. Is the warm-up included in the duration of the workout? Or do I need to warm up first and then start the timer?

Include it. Makes it simpler to track total volume.

> 3. I’m in my 3rd week, and I’m already seeing the progress. This is amazing! What is a reasonable time to repeat Drift Test and adjust my HR zones? Like every 4 weeks? Every 8 weeks?

About 6 weeks, and test with identical conditions (so your results are comparable).

Keep in mind that AeT isn’t static and changes depending on your recovery, metabolic fatigue, etc. Moreover, at some point your AeT HR may not increase, but your AeT pace will.

AeT is an important physiological marker, but don’t over correct for it. What’s important is to find repeatable aerobic workouts (whether it’s recovery, Z1 or Z2) that you can recover from day after day, months after months, so to have *consistent* and stable gains. If you’re new to endurance training, the bigger your aerobic base the better. It takes on the order of years to build a solid aerobic house.

Participant
    namasteybhaisab on #71014

Great questions Natalia. I am super interested in what others have to say on this.

Participant
    rcj on #71079

With regard to 4 and 5…

4. You can, but level 0 was really more about showing you the basics. Move to Level 1 for the full hour. No need to repeat Level 0.

5. When you can do all the movement well and complete the workout without skipping parts or taking breaks.

Good luck. This program is excellent

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.