First of all, I’d like to thank you for the knowledge you share in your books, website, podcasts, training plans, and programs. I have been going to the mountains for five years. Also, I’m a rock and ice climber. I teach basic technical skills to students (I’m an instructor at a local alpine club). However, I always struggle with endurance. It’s funny, isn’t it?
I’m a SUPER slow one. For example, my last average speed up to Mt.Baker base camp with a 24 lb backpack was 0.9 mph (approach in 4:46 hr), and from the base camp to the summit without a load, my speed was 0.37mph (7 hours to summit). Usually, my HR is consistently over 160 (AeT 138). Sometimes, I have to stop every 5-10 minutes because I am not able to go. It’s just hard to breathe, my legs don’t hurt.
At the moment, I see my progress just by following your training plan. Three weeks ago, I was able to do a treadmill session with a 15% grade incline (under my AeT) at 2.5mph, and today my speed was 3.2mph. It doesn’t seem like much progress, but for me, it’s a big step forward. Thank you for everything you do.
I have several questions about the 24-week training plan and the ChamoFit program.
1. Is the warm-up included in the duration of the workout? Or do I need to warm up first and then start the timer?
2. I would like to spend 12 weeks instead of 8 weeks in the Transition Period. Should I just repeat weeks 5-8 or do I need to increase the volume for additional weeks? If yes, how to do it right? Also, I’d like to spend 20 weeks in the Base period instead of 8 weeks.
3. I’m in my 3rd week, and I’m already seeing the progress. This is amazing! What is a reasonable time to repeat Drift Test and adjust my HR zones? Like every 4 weeks? Every 8 weeks?
4. I just bought the ChamoFit program and I’d like to use it instead of the core and general strength workouts. Now, I do 2x core routine and 2x general strength. How to incorporate the ChamoFit program into my training plan in that case? ChamoFit program recommends starting with Level 0. However, this is only a 10 minutes workout. Do I need to repeat Level 0 exercises six times to reach a 1-hour workout duration?
5. The ChamoFit program doesn’t have a description of when I should move to the next level (maybe I missed something?). Could you, please, clarify that?
Thank you very much.