16-W Big Mountain: Heavy Pack Training

• Creator
    Topic
    Yamabu
    Participant

I don’t understand the lack of heavy pack weights on this plan… the max is 15% of BW, but I may have to carry a 50-60 lb pack up moutain at elevation, in snow, which would destroy me if I didn’t train to it. I’m incorporating short, steep heavy carries 40-50lbs, but wish it was in the plan.

Am I just weak? I do the “Mountain Max Strength,” but muscle endurance becomes a problem for me after hours of mountaineering

Posted In: Mountaineering

• Participant
    Jim Prager on #74605

There are ME workouts Weeks 10-15 that you need to “Carry enough weight so that the fatigue in your legs is the speed limitation…not your breathing.” It doesn’t say anything about a percent BW for these workouts.

Participant
    Yamabu on #74607

Thanks Jim, you are correct, my bad … I personally feel like I need more days with around 70lbs, but we are all different.. have you successfully used the program successfully? I had an 12-hr approach last summer where combination of altitude, pack weight, and elevation destroyed me… pack felt very heavy at 70-80 lbs, so I’m paranoid about that

pedro on #74624

Hi Yamabu ,

Although the program has only 15% , doesn’t says you can not use more weight. As you know the program is done for guidance for a lot of people and so it is just a starting point .
    You can add a progression with more weight in order to make it specific for the activity/event you are going do. Make sure the adding more is sufficiently to be specific and not to much so that it doesn’t jams your capacity to move properly and perform.

I Hope I could help

Cheers ,,

Pedro Carvalho

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.